A veteran of music touring, conductor Tim Knight shares his experiences and advice for first time tourers. We interviewed Tim about the benefits and challenges of organsing a music trip for members, how to go about finding a music tour company and what effect music tours can have on an ensemble.
Read what Tim has to say here.
Meanwhile here are Tim's Top Ten Tips for planning a music tour:
- Think where you want to go and your reason for going.
- The size of your choir will determine the cost; the type of music you sing will determine the venues.
- Decide what you will sing.
- Take repertoire you are absolutely sure of.
- Tours involve a lot of travelling and travelling is very tiring; so build in adequate rest and relaxation breaks.
- Appoint a stage manager.
- Try to rehearse in a church similar to the venue before you leave the UK.
- Appoint a tour coordinator.
- Ensure that your tour coordinator will take care of everything non musical.
- Remember that audiences abroad can be huge, well informed and very critical.